Thursday, April 3, 2008

Casseroles

The Team's Good Picks:
Brandon Phillips was the best pick in the draft. He is a clear upgrade to every secondbasemen other than Chase Utley. He has tremendous range and great hands, could have played shortstop too. Phenomenal pick especially with Orlando Hudson playing behind him. It's nice have a switch hitting defensive wizard off the bench. Geovanny Soto is another terrific pick as he could start right away. He has great power from the catcher position. Sergio Romo is another sleeper player who can really hurl. The reliever provides depth to a pitching staff that was horrible a season ago.

The Team's Bad Picks:
Ken Griffey Jr and Kelvim Escobar are really risky picks. I feel that Escobar had the kind of year that everyone thought he should have every year. He has tremendous feel for pitching. He will likely miss the entire season this year and that does not bode well for the future. He is a legitimate ace though if healthy and this team could make a run at the postseason. Griffey is the same way. Clearly management addressed the lack of lefthanded power with Griffey, but its a big 'if' if he plays 140 games. An outfield consisting of Hunter, Dye and Griffey is experienced and has some good bats.

Overall: A-
Very very good first draft for Landon. In fact there are many owners that could look at what he did. He drafted the best player for the weakest position. In that I mean that 2B is a weak fantasy position, and he took the second best player (best available). That was smart. He then selected the next Miguel Cabrera in Angel Villalona. On teams that are contending, which Casselton is a year away, selecting a keeper player like Villalona is a bad idea. On a rebuilding team, it is crucial to build around. Romo and Faustino De Los Santos are great picks. Santos has a cannon and could be a building block for the young Athletics team. Soto was another great pick. I like LaPorta but I wonder how LaPorta will fit into the Brewers' long term plans now that they have moved Braun to left. Lastly, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to draft players that can help now, in the near future, and a few years down the line. Very good draft that more teams need to look at.

3 comments:

Landon Bolt said...

Yeah, Villalona had to go in the 2nd because he was an absolute must have for my roster. I drafted for the future for the most part, and filled in blanks I had in this inherited roster. Phillips was a no-brainer 1st pick.

Escobar was a risk but for a 9th round steal I felt like I could try to take the leap since my rotation needs some help. I also traded my suplimental pick for Capuano. To me, a Lackey, Escobar, Harang, Capuano, Zito rotation would be lovely, (Zito will be back around the end of May. I have faith).

ejcMOABS said...

You better have faith in Zito and that contract as a fifth starter! Escobar is done for the year-- most likely, Harang plays in the Great American Smallpark which is a disaster for pitchers. Lackey is out for a month or two, and I could be wrong but I think Capuano is out too. Yikes with the rotation, but I agree that you had an excellent first draft, something the league really needed!

Landon Bolt said...

Well for the most part I'm dealing with what I already had. I can't change the whole team around in one year, its a work in progress. Capuano will be back shortly, but my rotation to start the season is: Harang, Zito, Washburn, Daniel Cabrera, Kevin Corriea, which is absolutely horrid. But, post injuries, post free agency, post trades, I'll be working on it.